Royal Menus - tsarina - kremlin - 1912.png

Menu

 

Potage Tortue Anglaise

Turtle consommé flavoured with sherry

 

Potage Fontage

A thick soup named after Mademoiselle de Fontage, a mistress of Louis XIV, based on puréed peas, chicken consommé, sautéed sorrel and cream; and topped with chervil

 

Petits pâtés

Piroshky (small Russian pies) to accompany soup

 

Sterlet de la Dvina au champagne

Whole small sturgeons, caught in the Dvina Bay of the White Sea, layered with truffle slices and baked in Champagne

 

Selle de Chevreuil Grand Véneur

Saddle of roasted venison studded with bacon strips, that have been marinated in Cognac and chopped parsley, served with a chestnut purée and Grand Veneur Sauce made from venison stock, cream and redcurrant jelly

 

Parfait de foie gras au Porto

Foie gras parfait flavoured with Port

 

Punch Victoria

Sorbet made from oranges, meringue and equal parts rum, kirsch and Sautern (sweet wine from Bordeaux)

 

Rôti: Poulardes et Bécasses

Roast poulardes (fattened spayed chickens) and roast woodcocks

 

Salade et Concombres

Salads and pickled cucumbers

 

Asperges d'Argenteuil Sce Hollandaise

White asparagus dressed in Hollandaise sauce

 

Pêches de Montreuil Cardinal

Montreuil peaches (a highly sought-after specialty peach grown against walls in a small 300-hectare precinct in Paris) poached with cassis (blackcurrant liqueur)

 

Timballe Pompadour

Rice custard timbales flavoured with rum and crystalized fruit and dressed in a apricot syrup

 

Dessert

Menu dated 12th June 1912

(30th May in the Julian calendar)



Dinner at the Kremlin, Moscow,  hosted by Her Imperial Majesty the Dowager Tsarina (Dowager Empress) Maria Fyodorovna of Russia.

Pêches de Montreuil were the most prized peaches of the day, having first gained their royal fame when served at the table of King Louis XIV in the late 1600s. The exclusive Montreuil peaches were grown on trellises mounted on a labyrinth of plaster walls, known as the Murs à pêches, that occupied little more than a 300-hectare precinct in outer Paris.

 

In 1912 crates of these cherished fruits, each individually scrutinised and carefully wrapped, were sent from Paris to the Kremlin for this banquet to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Russia’s defeat of Napoléon and his Grand Armée.

 

This was the imperial family’s first visit to Moscow in nine years – since 1903; and the banquet needed to dazzle.

“In 1912”, remembered the Tsarina's lady-in-waiting, “all Russia celebrated the centenary of the French invasion and retreat. The Imperial Family went to Moscow for the inauguration of the monument to Alexander III, then to Smolensk".

 

Tsar Nicholas II and his wife Tsarina Alexandra arrived in Moscow from the Crimea just two days prior to this dinner. The Tsar’s mother, the Dowager Tsarina, came a day later directly from Copenhagen to partake in the unveiling of the statue to her late imperial husband.

 

“The Emperor, Empress and Dowager are in fine health and spirits”, assured The New York Times, “and bronzed from their three months stay in the Crimea”.

 

After Tsar Nicholas II had unveiled the statue to his father, the imperial family returned to the Kremlin in readiness for this banquet where his mother, the Dowager Tsarina, played hostess.

 

The display of edible imperial decadence featured dishes of turtle soup and foie-gras parfait interspersed with roast woodcock; sturgeons baked in Champagne with truffles; and a signature dish of many a Romanov banquet, Selle de Chevreuil Grand Véneur.

 

Towards the end of the banquet the Montreuil peaches were served, having been stoned and poached whole in blackcurrant liqueur, and were accompanied by moulds of rice custards mixed with crystallised fruits and laced with rum.

Royal Menus - Montreuil - peaches.jpg

Murs à pêches: the plaster walls in outer Paris where the imperial peaches were sourced.

Royal Menus - dowager tsarina - 1912 - banner.png

On the day of this imperial banquet in 1912, Tsar Nicholas II unveils the monument to his father, Alexander III, in Moscow.

Photo courtesy: State Historical Museum

Royal Menus - alexander III - monument - 1912.jpg